Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1999 Ford Explorer sohc idling rough new plugs wires and

Customer Question

1999 Ford Explorer sohc idling rough new plugs wires and cool pack no change what could it be?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it gives codes p0300 and p0117
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
this could be a failed engine coolant sensor, as that its what P0117 points to
so unplug the sensor and clean the contacts on both sides with some switch / electrical cleaner (not WD40) and inspect the wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation especially where it runs over other components and through the bulkhead- if this doesn't help consider replacing the sensor as they're not expensive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the other code or does the Ect make the car idle too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idle rough
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the other code is a general misfire and could be caused by the faulty ECT

replace that 1st and if it doesn't fix it then I'd start checking for an air / vacuum leak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will be checking tomorrow since I have to work today
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Understood
just get back to me on this post