James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I started out with a "drive to clean exaust" message and

Customer Question

I started out with a "drive to clean exaust" message and have learned that it is part of the regen cycle but thought it would go away. The truck has a bucket and I am currently using it locally where it idles all day. Subsequently the message was replaced with another one "reduced power" with the wrench sign. I didnt have a chance to get it checked because I am under some pressurre to get some work done so eventually it stalled while working. It started then would stall with a whistle or air leak of some sort and a short balst of black smoke from the muffler but not a lot really. Ive been reading about the CAC hose and DPF need to get up and running asap and am mechanical in nature. I can get whatever parts needed or take action too but could use some guidence to cut down gusswork. Thanx in advance. Paul
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your DPF filter is plugged solid. I would loosen the bolts around the DPF filter in front of it. Try to start the vehicle and see if it idles. You will get a lot of black soot out of the exhaust when this happens. If it starts and runs you either need to have the DPF filter replaced or if you have an area that can clean them that is usually cheaper. The easiest route is just to install a new filter but they aren't very cheap.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.