Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My AC compressor is not coming on. I put in a new low

Customer Question

My AC compressor is not coming on. I put in a new low pressure sensor, that didnt help. I jumped the sensor plug and the compressor still wont come on. I jumped the AC clutch relay and then it does come on. I swapped the relay with an identical one for the fog lights and they work either way so I know the relays are ok. I cant find any blown fuses. With the AC turned on there's no 12 volt to the relay switch to accuate it. It seems as though whatever is supposed to send juice to the relay is not working. I have no idea what that would be.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, unsure if I can help as not enough information. Full automatic climate controls? Manual climate controls? engine size?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 Explorer XLT manual controls, 4.0L engine.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

can you remove the ac relay, turn key on, probe the terminals, the relay goes into, need to know how many have 12 volts, also, you said system filled, what are the pressure readings , obvioulsy with ac compressor not coming on,, I need static pressures, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the AC and Fog light relays because they are identical. While off, the fog light relay gives about .5 volts, on it gives 12 volts. The AC socket gives .1 off, and when on it stays the same. I dont have a professional guage I just used the one on the can of freon, its in the green.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

you do not have a volt meter? or do you? I need volts with ac relay out, key on, probing terminals the relay plugs into. did you do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The AC relay socket gives off .1 volts when off and when I turn the AC on it still gives .1 volts.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

all terminals? , are you following on what I need you to test? if not, please ask, as this does not add up as you jump relay and compressor runs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im checking the two leads that turn the relay on, not the ones that go to the compressor, the compressor would work if the relay was being accuated because it does with a paper clip. It doesnt seem to be activating when turned on.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Need testing as I have described, I am sorry you are not understanding, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts, One should be along soon to help. Sorry i could not

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting for my question to be answered.