EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Starter is milling on the drive plate been thru 5 starters

Customer Question

Starter is milling on the drive plate been thru 5 starters in two years seems to happen when not parked on a level surface. Also this might sound far fetched but 9 out of 10 times if I release the tilt on the steering wheel and slam it up añd down once it starts and maybe 7 out of ten times if I move shift lever to neutràl o4 slam it up àñd down seems to work ànd she starts. No missing teeth on ring gear but definitely milled thru àlmost half the thickness of the ring gear. I am stumped.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Can I get the year, make, model, and engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I 2005 Ford f150 5.⁴ 172k 2wd super crew xlt

What brand starters are you using?

When it will not start, have you ever monitored the voltages to the 2 wires at the starter?

The only other thing besides the wiring, starter, and flexplate is going to be the crank thrust bearing bad and the flexplate to far away from the starter bendix.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. So have you replaced the ring gear yet? It says you just replaced the starter a few times?