Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Had the VSS syptoms of ABS light on, shifting poorly,

Customer Question

Had the VSS syptoms of ABS light on, shifting poorly, speedometer off, radio off too. Replaced VSS. Shifts much better BUT then started acting up again with the same above issues. What next?
Thx, Doug
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Does the speedometer work at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When this happens, and it's an on and off thing, the ABS is on, speedometer off, radio off, transmission jerks and shifts improperly. I replaced the VSS with a new Napa sensor two days ago and I thought it fixed it because it actually shifted very smooth. But then the next day it happened again so I pulled over, turned off the motor, re-started, and it ran fine. The Napa store gave me a new sensor to try just in case. I know the owner. They are only $15. The soonest appotintment I can get to have it test by a mechanic is next Monday. I 'd like to fix it myself if possible. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not installed the new sensor yet. Doug

Being its on and off and there is just a powered magnet inside the sensor, I doubt its the sensor but a wire issue or poor connection issue between the ABS and rear speed sensor. Can you get the vehicle o na rack to idle in drive with one watching the speedometer while you wiggle the harness and connectors.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris