Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 88 f250 has 2 fuel tanks. when truck sits i think fuel

Customer Question

my 88 f250 has 2 fuel tanks. when truck sits i think fuel drains back. have to crank and crank to start. if it hasnt sat long starts right up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Your 1988 F 250 has built in check valves on each in tank fuel pump that are suppose to hold the pressure at 32 to 45 PSI on the first turn of the key and if its bleeding down after it sits for a while that usually means the check valves are failing. A quick way to check this is to try cycling the key on and off a few time before you actual crank the engine. If it then starts after doing so then the check valves are not holding and that means the pumps would have to replaced to resolve the problem.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
each tank has its own pump located in the tank. Due to the age of the truck its also very likely both have failing check valves. Try the key cycling I mentioned in my first post and see if it then starts.