tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years
14541291

I'm trying to set timing TDC on my 1996 Ford F-150 XL to

Customer Question

Hi Don, I'm trying to set timing TDC on my 1996 Ford F-150 XL to replace the distributor and the PIP. The truck has the misfire sensor installed next (left of) to the crank pulley and there's a cover for the sensor. However, I cant find the timing pointer. Isnt the timing pointer supposed to be part of the misfire sensor cover? The cover for the misfire sensor on my truck does not have the timing pointer as part of the cover. There is a pointer (looks like a needle) to the immediate left of the sensor/cover and it's protruding out from the engine block. Is this the timing pointer for my truck? Moreover, there are timing marks (14, 10, 6, 3) on the right side of the crank pulley and on the timing chain cover. However, I read online that you should not use these marks on the timing chain cover to set the timing. If the timing pointer should be on or part of the misfire sensor cover, then should I try to go to the auto parts store to buy an aftermarket misfire sensor cover?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you could show actual pics of the correct timing marks from the 1996 Ford F-150 service manual. I can't find it online. Just want to make sure it's the right timing pointer/marks from a 1996 Ford F-150 XL.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

what engine do you have?>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.9L I6

ok,,stand by,,i may have pictures..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 1996 FORD F150 XL model. It has the misfire sensor switch next (left side) to the crank pulley

?

the 4.9

the 4.9 is gear driven,no chain,,the dots on the gears just go together

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wait so there's no timing belt or chain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The crank pulley does have TDC marks and BTC marks engraved into the pulley. I had to clean it and shine a flashlight on it to really see it. I just don't know which timing pointer to align these marks to

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yiptdslfygqa1ty/0812-ford-f150-CAUTION.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/yiptdslfygqa1ty/0812-ford-f150-CAUTION.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

no,,the 4.9 doesnt have a chain nor belt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I want to replace the distributor (with PIP sensor inside), do i have to set spark plug #1 to TDC before pulling the current distributor out?

yes,,unless you mark the distributer and dont move the engine and put it back exactly as you remove the old one

1-remove the #1 plug.hold your finger on the plug hole,have your help to bump the starter till you feel air[compression] start to come out of the plug hole
2-then,align the balancer mark to 0deg tdc..now you have the #1 piston up on the compression stroke
3-now,install the distributer to where the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire terminal on the inside of the distributer cap..
now it is in time..

.

1-remove the #1 plug
2-turn the engine slowly until you feel air[compression] come out of that cylinder,get the piston all the way to the top on this stroke.
3-align the mark on the crank pulley to 0deg.,,now we have the #1 piston up on the compression stroke.
4-install the distributor to where the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire terminal inside the cap.the engine should fire here.you want the #1 to fire with the piston up on the compression stroke.

distributer

Removal 1. Align timing pointer with Top Dead Center (TDC) on crankshaft vibration damper. 2. Mark position of No. 1 cylinder wire tower on distributor base. Mark will provide an alignment reference when reinstalling the distributor. 3. Loosen distributor cap hold-down screws. 4. Lift distributor cap with attached wire set straight off distributor to prevent damage to rotor blade and spring, remove attaching screws and base adapter. 5. Position distributor cap and attached wire set aside so as not to interfere with removal. 6. Check if distributor rotor blade is pointing toward the marked position on the distributor base adapter . If distributor rotor blade is pointing one-half a revolution off, rotate crankshaft one full revolution and realign timing pointer with TDC on crankshaft vibration damper. 7. Disconnect wiring harness at distributor. 8. Remove distributor rotor by pulling upward on distributor rotor from distributor shaft. 9. Remove distributor hold-down bolt and clamp. 10. Remove distributor from cylinder block by pulling upward with a slight side-to-side twist. 11. Cover distributor opening in cylinder block with a clean shop towel to prevent the entry of foreign material into engine. Installation NOTE: When installing distributor, No. 1 piston must be at TDC of the compression stroke. 1. Visually inspect distributor for the following: - O-ring should fit tightly onto housing and be free of cuts. - Drive gear should be free of nicks, cracks or excessive wear. - The distributor shaft should rotate freely, without any binding. 2. Lubricate distributor gear teeth with a coating of Engine Assembly Lubricant D9AZ-19579-D or equivalent fresh motor oil meeting Ford specification ESR-M99C80-A. 3. Align locating boss and fully seat distributor rotor on distributor shaft. 4. Rotate distributor shaft so that distributor rotor blade is pointing toward marked position on distributor base adapter. 5. Install distributor into cylinder block with a slight side-to-side twist. NOTE: If the vane and vane switch assembly can not be kept on the leading edge after installation, remove the distributor from cylinder block by pulling upward enough for the distributor gear to disengage from the camshaft gear. Rotate distributor rotor enough so the gear will align on the next tooth of the camshaft gear. 6. Rotate distributor in engine to align leading edge of armature vane to vane switch assembly. Verify that distributor rotor blade is pointing toward marked position on distributor base adapter. 7. Install distributor hold-down clamp and bolt. 8. Position adapter base and install attaching screws. 9. Position distributor cap with attached wire set straight on distributor to prevent damage to rotor blade and spring. 10. Secure distributor cap using hold-down screws. 11. Connect distributor to wiring harness. 12. Set initial timing: 13. Without moving timing adjustment, tighten distributor hold-down bolt and clamp to 23-34 Nm (17-25 lb ft).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this gets back to my original question, what timing pointer do I use to align the TDC marks? can you show a picture of the timing pointer? Is it the needle like pointer below and next to the misfire sensor cover?

yes,,it is on the cover and aligns with the crank damper/pulley..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything I read online says that the marks on the cover are not used for timing. So what is the purpose of the needle-like pointer on the left side of the crank pulley and next to the misfire sensor?

all you need to do here,,is to remove the #1 plug..turn the engine till you feel air come out of the cylender.stop the piston at tdc..

the rotor on the distributer should be pointing to the #1 cylender plug wire terminal in the cap

this will be right and cant be wrong

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need to know the timing pointer in order to adjust the timing to 10 degrees TDC later right?

one moment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 degrees BTDC

ok

INITIAL TIMING 1. Place transmission in NEUTRAL (M/T) or PARK (A/T) with A/C and heater in OFF position. 2. Connect an inductive timing light. 3. Disconnect the single wire in-line Spark Output (SPOUT) connector or remove the shorting bar from the double wire SPOUT connector. 4. Start engine and allow to reach operating temperature. With engine at timing rpm, check or adjust initial timing to specification. NOTE: To set timing correctly, a remote starter should not be used. Use the ignition key only to start the vehicle. Disconnecting the start wire at the starter relay will cause Ignition Control Module (ICM) to revert to start mode timing after the vehicle is started. Reconnecting the start wire after the vehicle is running will not correct the timing. 5. Reconnect single wire in-line spout connector or reinstall the shorting bar on the double wire spout connector. Check timing advance to verify distributor is advancing beyond the initial setting. 6. Remove test instruments.

Distributor Ignition (DI) Base Ignition Timing ................................................. BTDC 10°±2°

he Spark Out Check (SPOUT) Connector is located at the LH side of the engine compartment, taped to harness, near ignition control module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see attached pic of the needle-like pointer that I've been referring to. see attached pic. There's a pointer next to the bolt that holds the misfire sensor

that picture didnt open,,,the 06 should have the timing tab as the picture i gave you,,with the deg, marks on it

96 rather

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you sent me pic of the 06 or 96 Ford F150 XL?

96

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another try...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's the needle-like pointer next to one of the 2 bolts that hold down the misfire sensor next to it. What is that pointer use for then since it's right on top of the crank pulley?

i really dont know what that is..the timing tab should be more to the drivers side upper timing cover

that isnt a timing pointer that i have ever seen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're 100% sure that I should align the TDC mark on the crank pulley to the timing marks on the timing cover, located on the driver side of the crank pulley?

yes,,with compression up...if you look at the rotor,it will be pinting to the #1 plug wire terminal when you have it right

0deg with compression up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had tried that multiple times yesterday but couldn't get the rotor to point toward the #1 spark plug when the TDC ***** *****ned up with the 0 mark on the timign cover. I turned multiple revolution but it would not align with the rotor to the #1 plug. That's why I thought there may be another timing pointer.

it doesnt point to the #1 plug,,it points to the #1 plug wire terminal on the distributer cap

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I should clarify that #1 plug on the distributor cap. I marked the distributor cap and the distributor base where #1 plug connected to. But after many revolutions of the crank pulley, the rotor would not align with the #1 position when the TDC aligned to the timing marks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything I read on the Ford forum said that the marks on the cover (driver side) are not the right ones. They said it should be on the passenger side around the 9 o'clock position. However, there is no damper plate on my truck that's attached to the crank pulley.

you shouldnt have to turn but two turns,,the crank turns twice to the cams once,,the distributer is turned by the cam

you can time the distributer without a mark as long as you pull the #1 plug,get the compression up and stop the piston at tdc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it again. Are you okay if I check back with you later after trying it again? I may have more questions if I find some new information.

sure

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, i got the rotor to point to the #1 spark plug postion on the distributor cap and base and the #1 piston is at the top (compression) position. However, the 0 TDC mark is currently around the 5 o'clock position on the crank pulley while the marks on the timing cover is around the 1 oclock position in regards ***** ***** crank pulley. Should I not worry about the TDC lining up with the timing marks on the timing cover and just pull the old distributor at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?

sorry,,having internet trouble here..make sure the piston is at tdc,,and the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire terminal in the cap,,then yes you can pull it out,,dont move the engine,,,install the new distributer in the same place as that one sits now

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah having a hard time getting the new distributor to drop in and tight. Any tips on how to drop it in? grease on the bearings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant grease on the gear of the new distributor?

no,you shouldnt need greese,,just pick up and down on the distributor as you turn the rotor back and forth till it falls in the right place..just walk it around clock wise,,,do not turn the engine now that the distributor is out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't know you can turn or move the rotor to drop it in. I thought the rotor had to be in same position (#1) as when it was pulled out. So I can turn the rotor to face different position as long as I can get the distributor to drop in snug?

you can turn it ,,but it must drop in in the same exact place as the one you took out

When installing distributor, No. 1 piston must be at TDC of the compression stroke. 1. Visually inspect distributor for the following: - O-ring should fit tightly onto housing and be free of cuts. - Drive gear should be free of nicks, cracks or excessive wear. - The distributor shaft should rotate freely, without any binding. 2. Lubricate distributor gear teeth with a coating of Engine Assembly Lubricant D9AZ-19579-D or equivalent fresh motor oil meeting Ford specification ESR-M99C80-A. 3. Align locating boss and fully seat distributor rotor on distributor shaft. 4. Rotate distributor shaft so that distributor rotor blade is pointing toward marked position on distributor base adapter. 5. Install distributor into cylinder block with a slight side-to-side twist. NOTE: If the vane and vane switch assembly can not be kept on the leading edge after installation, remove the distributor from cylinder block by pulling upward enough for the distributor gear to disengage from the camshaft gear. Rotate distributor rotor enough so the gear will align on the next tooth of the camshaft gear. 6. Rotate distributor in engine to align leading edge of armature vane to vane switch assembly. Verify that distributor rotor blade is pointing toward marked position on distributor base adapter. 7. Install distributor hold-down clamp and bolt. 8. Position adapter base and install attaching screws. 9. Position distributor cap with attached wire set straight on distributor to prevent damage to rotor blade and spring. 10. Secure distributor cap using hold-down screws. 11. Connect distributor to wiring harness. 12. Set initial timing: 13. Without moving timing adjustment, tighten distributor hold-down bolt and clamp to 23-34 Nm (17-25 lb ft).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it to drop in but the rotor is now not facing the next position (#5) instead. Should I take it out again and retry to align with the #1?

yes,,its got to drop in n the exact place the other came out..