Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1994 ford ranger 2.3 liter has 2 coil packs number 3

Customer Question

1994 ford ranger 2.3 liter has 2 coil packs number 3 cylinder on drivers side no spark at the coil the other three towers on the coil have fire. swaped with other coil same result. replaced with new coil same result all 7 other towers have spark what could it be
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If swapping the coils still show on spark then you are likely healing with a wiring concern or even a failed PCM. In order to determine if that is the cases you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Coil%20Aug%2012.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done this test the both wires are flashing going into the coil. cylinder two is firing just fine. the only cylinder that is not firing is cylinder three. the front coil which runs the passenger side spark plugs. You can take each spark plug
wire off one at a time and see each wire sparking equaly except for the plug wire for number three cylinder. that spark is completly dead the tower for number three is producing no spark at all. the tower for number two is sparking just fine. also have taken
a plug wire with a plug in it and plugged it into each tower and ground the plug to chassie and observed spark at this test plug. on all three towers the spark is the same on the tower for plug three there is no spark. this seems almost an imposibility since
cylinder three and cylinder two coil is the same and both should be firing since the exciter wire is feeding the coil and it is hot and flashing with the engine running. Also by swaping the front coil pack with the back coil pack the problem does not move
to the other side of the engine the problem stays with number three tower for the passenger side of the engine. this just does not seem possible. Number tow cylinder should be dead if the exciter wire was not properly exciting the coil. Is my logic wrong or
am i missing something
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure that the other coil is not defective a as well? In most cases this type of problem is a bad coil if the wiring check okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well ansewer me this if the coil was bad why would the same coil work fine when you switch it with the other coil and vise versa. I have only tested the signal wire with a test light seeing that it is lighting the light evry time that coil is activated.is it possible that the voltage in the signal wire is low causing it to only excite one tower on the coil half instead of both towers. tonight wheni get home i am thinking of taking the plug with the three wires on it from the back coil and plugging it into the front coil and see what happens leaving the plug wires pluged into there respective holes and see what that does. if it is in the wiring then the problem should move to the back coil. if it does move to the back coil does this mean the wire is not caring the load form the icm which is also new by the way.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the bad coil fires on the exhaust side then its has to be okay. With a new ICM then that only leaves a wiring concern. Try the swap and see what happens.