Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech, 20+ yrs experience
15093763

I have a 2002 T-Bird. In park it will not rev past 3K RPM

Customer Question

I have a 2002 T-Bird. In park it will not rev past 3K RPM but with load it seams fine. I have had it since new and do not remember this before. Had the fuel filter changed with no change. I am about to take a road trip and will put about 1,500 miles on it. It has about 65,000 on it now. Is it a limiter or something else? Can I rely on it for this trip?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm Dan J. I'm here to provide as much

information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

That is the Rev limiter. All newer cars are programmed with this feature so there will be no over reving of the engine which could cause major engine damage. RPM's vary with different vehicles and some cars do not have a RED LINE on the Tachometer like most cars used to have showing you the area not to run the engine at for an extended period of time without causing damage to the engine.