Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Randall, I am changing the timing gears on my 1992 and I

Customer Question

Randall, I am changing the timing gears on my 1992 and I accidentally moved the camshaft clockwise about half lap during removal of the old one, then I returned it to it's original position. Will it cause any problem on the engine timing?
The crankshaft did not move at all.
Thank you and God bless you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Randall doesn't seem to be available right now but I'd like to help you with your question. What type of Ford are we dealing with and what is the engine size please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I told you before the truck is 1992 Ford F-150 4.9 engine with a 6 cylinder in line,***** What else you want to know?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you should be fine if the cam turned, just make sure the timing marks are lined up properly before assembling it and there should be no problem. Even if a valve touched a piston due to the mistime, the lifter would collapse and protect it from damage.