James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2005 F-350 Super Duty, Dually, Lariat. It started

Customer Question

Hello, I'm Ted, I have a 2005 F-350 Super Duty, Dually, Lariat. It started indicating the wrong temp for exteral temp. When it does this (sometimes showing as low as 8 degrees when it 90 out) which then affects the AC. What can cause this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, is it isn't reading negative 40 but random reading you have a bad ambient air temp sensor. It is located behind the grill on your vehicle. It has two wires going into it and has a point on it. They are fairly inexpensive to replace. This will correct your concern.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry for the delay getting back to you. I will find the sensor and see if there are any loose wires. If not, I will remove it and see if I can pick one up and reinstall it. Once this is done, I will see if the problem continues and/or if anything else is going on. I researched on line and found several other possible issues so I hope your diagnosis is correct. I will let you know in a day or so once I've had a chance to check the sensor and replace if needed. Thanks for the response and I will rate your answer once I see if it works.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Please don't forget leaving a rating doesn't close out the question. It usually seems when people say they will come back and rate 80% never do. So please do remember.