Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 95 tarus that overheats and starves. will restart

Customer Question

I have a 95 tarus that overheats and starves for fuel. will restart after cooling. Ignition is OK. will fire if primed. Cooling runs when engine is OK but was stopped when I looked after engine overheated
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
The expert you have requested in not online at present so I will help you, sorry for the delay,
Can you tell me the fuel pressure readings tou are getting when the problem is occurring and will not start?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The problem you are describing sound like you have a failing fuel pump, when the pump begins to fail it will overheat and when this happens it will cause the fuel to foam and the engine will stall. In most cases once the pump has had time to cool off it will usually start and run again. This type of problem usually happens in warm weather operating temps as well. You can verify if that is the cases by installing a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port and monitor the fuel pressure when it will not start. Normal pressure need to be right at 32 yo 45 PSI. Anything less then 32 PSI would indicate the pump is failing.