Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ron, I have a 2005 Ford Escape, I had an engine misfire on a

Customer Question

Hi Ron, I have a 2005 Ford Escape, I had an engine misfire on a cylinder so I replaced all of the spark plugs and one coil pack to get rid of the engine misfire code. Now I am getting new codes and rough idle. P0106 P2195 P2197
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
The code P0106 indacated a problem with the map sesnor and or a loss of vacuum to it.
The codes P2195 and P2197 are lean codes and can be set due to any of the following,
Plugged Fuel Filter
Plugged Fuel Injectors
Low Fuel Pressure
Weak Fuel Pump
Poor Fuel Quality
Low Mass Air Flow Sensor Voltage
Leaking Vacuum
Since you getting a bad map code and the leans codes I would start with taking a close look around the intake area to be sure there are no vacuum leaks and I would also consider removing the negative battery cable and taking some MAF cleaner and give the MAF sensor a good cleaning. Do these thing first and post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to include that, and that is my fault. I sprayed the MAF with cleaner and let it dry. Also I sprayed the motor with carb cleaner looking for a vacuum leak. Also I should include that their is a popping sound in the engine bay.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Does the popping sound , sound like a backfire and is the engine misfiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if it sounds exactly like a backfire. I did find a 13 second video on youtube with someone that has the same problem as i do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89LWwybYQMI am not getting any extra codes for engine misfires.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Let me look at the video

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

One common cause of this type of noise can be caused by a intake valve sticking open and that can cause low vacuum and the noise your hearing and set all the codes you are getting due to low vacuum , in order to determine if that is the case, run the steps in the link below as I suspect this is the problem you are dealing with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Popping%20noise%20Aug%2010.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to do this in order or is it logical to attempt to clean the valves with carburetor cleaner first and see if that will fix it ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would start with step one and and do all the steps. I sure sounds like a intake valve concern to me but you need to rule out any other concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know where to have the engine take in the carburetor tune-up cleaner can you assist me with an image ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the idle problem was caused by a vacuum line not being plugged in. With those same codes i sent you before what would you suggest as the problem ? The rpm jumps between 1-2k while the vehicle is coasting some of the time. Thank you.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you still setting the same codes?