jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

Autobody repairer of 45+ yrs. I've inherited a 1990 Ford

Customer Question

Hi Marc, I'm Bob An autobody repairer of 45+ yrs. I've inherited a 1990 Ford Tempo with a 2,3 L engine with only 50,000 mi. I recently changed the oil and filter only to hear mumerous valve tapping. But the worst part happened when it shut down with no warning. Now the engine cranks but won't start. I took the valve cover and found 3 slightly loose rocker arms. Also while engine cranks no oil makes it to top of engine nor does the rotor turn. Any Suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, being that you have some loose rockers and the oil pump isn't getting oil to the top off the motor and the rotor doesn't turn .

I would check the timing chain and marks .

it could be that the 3 lifters are pumped down and the dist gear is stripped or broke the shear pin that holds it to the dist .because of a bad oil pump.

I would advise to pull the distributor and see if the shear pin is broken and also, see if you can turn the dist shaft while holding the gear .

this was a common issue with these motors .

it may be that you have a bad oil pump and dist gear .

it could also, be that the gear pin is bad and that three lifters pumped down because of it .

I would first check the dist gear and also, the rod that goes into the oil pump.

once you have the dist out see if you can turn the rod that goes into the oil pump ,you can use a 1/4 inch ------5/16 socket with an extension to do this .

if that is good .then inspect the timing chain for slack .

the tensioner may have gone bad and the timing then may have jumped

usually the timing chain broke or jumped if there are loose rockers ..

IF THIS HELPED YOU THEN PLEASE RATE ME POSITIVE AND WE CAN ALWAYS CONTINUE

IF THIS DIDN'T HELP PLEASE DON'T RATE ME BAD AND GET BACK TO ME ..thank you ..jazzmaster

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hello ? do you still need help ?