Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Glenn, I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with a airbag warning

Customer Question

Hi Glenn,
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with a airbag warning light out in the instrument cluster... so i have a chiming warning tone while driving. I removed the cluster and found the light. Using a meter I confirmed the filament is broken. I cannot find any information on replacing the bulb. It does not come out of the plastic base and I would like to replace all 16 of the bulbs. Please advise.
In gratitude... Joe B.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

They should just twist out. See the steps below.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,
I didn't ask how to remove them as I already did that to test them with the meter. I asked how to replace them. The plastic base/socket that the bulb rests in and is attached to cannot be separated from the bulb, but only twisted off with the attached bulb. How do I replace it? Where do I purchase the new base/bulb replacement? There is no part number or specific place referred to that I can find on the internet, and no they are not bulb #161 which is more than twice as big. Thanks, Joe.

Some of the bulbs do come out of the socket by pulling them free, the others are one piece a socket and bulb together. I have never tried buying them outside of a Ford dealer, so I do not know if you can buy these aftermarket or not.