Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Is grease adequate to use Lock Grease FOAZ-19584-A on the

Customer Question

Is white grease adequate to use for Ignition Lock Grease FOAZ-19584-A on the ignition actuator 'rod'?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, white lithium, grease would be the grease/ lube of choice. You are fine with this, I prefer the brush on but spray is ok, Actually most any grease will work, just lithium is a better choice as does not break down like some others persay. Unsure if the problem is lubrication, I am not there looking but well worth starting there, be sure everything is well lubed and parts worked over and over and see what happens

Expert:  Shayne-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address.
Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/98q67-explorer-xls-white-grease-adequate-use.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The responding mechanic is not the same as the one who initiated the 'conversation'. Not sure why I did not get an e-mail reply. My account is complete now -- for sure. Would prefer a written response to my e-mail each time, if possible. I do have a follow-up question -- would it be considered a new inquiry and be charged at $28 again? If so, I'm going to look elsewhere....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this is considered part of the $28 / month 'trial', then here is my follow-up question.) I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS, automatic transmission, 4WD, 4.0 OHV. The car would not start despite being in Park unless the shifter was moved to Drive and then quickly moved to Park, then the ignition would connect the starter motor and the engine would run. It did this for about 4 consecutive days and then would not start at all (no click, no starter motor). Battery is good, fuel is good, car is garaged. Live in Phoenix, AZ where it is hot. Am 2nd owner (since 2003) and car has about 146,000 miles. Serviced regularly. Suspect ignition actuator rod is the problem. Took steering wheel off and found actuator to be fine -- just somewhat hard to move in-out. Lubed with white lithium grease. Cannot find specifics on what position it is supposed to be when reassembling steering and inserting key / ignition assembly to engage. The actuator rod seems to have at least three positions: in al the way (toward the front of the car), a middle position, and a rearward position. I imagine that each position must correspond with the ignition key position (start, run, off, accessory -- these last two may be the same position of the actuator rod). If the rod is not broken, should it still be replaced? Is just lubrication sufficient? What position should it be in to reinstall the ignition key assembly? Is there a reference that I can access that would tell me? Thank you.