Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I had front end work done on my 2001 e 150 and now the

Customer Question

I had front end work done on my 2001 e 150 and now the steering is very loose and the steering wheel won't lock when I take the key out.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking for my original receipt to see what exactly was done. Yesterday I took it to the Firestone Auto Center for an oil change and they did an alignment check and said the right front camber (where the noise originally alerted me to a problem) was at 0.8 when it should be at 1.3
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Can you list out the questions you would like me to answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, my point is the steering was fine, no play in steering wheel and now its very loose. Was wondering what they did or didn't do to cause this. They replaced the ball joints and the tie rods&/or ends according to my receipt.

If they did all the repairs correct, the only thing that could of resulted from this would be incorrectly aligned. Now if another failure occurred not in conjunction it would be slack inside the steering gear. One would think when you replace a sloppy worn out joint things would get and feel tighter, however that is not always the case. The now tighter parts make the steering feel different than it was, making it resemble a loose or sloppy steering. The alignment tech however should of checked all of these things before and during the alignment, because you can not align a vehicle with any worn parts.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris