Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Im having trouble removing the transmission line quick

Customer Question

Im having trouble removing the transmission line quick connects to replace the radiator in a 2007 explorer.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

To remove the transmission lines will require the use of a special tool: Transmission Cooler Line Disconnect Tool (click here for an image). You can usually rent (or even buy cheap enough) this tool from most local big chain part stores. Install the tool on the fitting, give it a little twist to remove any debris, push in and then pull the line out (click here for an image of the tool on the line). Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a generic tool I have been trying to use but no luck. Is there a better or specific tool you have to have? I am soooo close to getting the radiator done but can't get these stupid connectors off.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the specific tool was shown above (Ford Tool #307-569 or #307-441). There is a small "lip" on the end of the tool that needs to go under the "spring" in the connector. Push the tool in, give is a little turn, then push the tool and line and, and then pull it straight backwards. It IS a little tricky, but using the correct tool and a little patience, it can be done. Definitely takes a few tries your first time around. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.