Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Merc 2010, mountaineer, "check fuel filter" warning light

Customer Question

Merc 2010, mountaineer, "check fuel filter" warning light came on. Ford wants $100 to run a diagnostic on the car before fixing it. What is really needed? Any info would be appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

I am going to assume the message is check fuel filler, not fuel filter. There is no message for the fuel filter. The most common causes for this message are the canister purge valve or the filler neck not sealing properly. There really is no way to determine which one is failing without running an evaporative emissions test to determine the cause. Certain equipment is needed to perform the tests.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service as you see fit. Rating does not close the question if you have follow up questions. Thanks!