Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2006 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L 4whdr with 148,000+ miles

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L 4whdr with 148,000+ miles on it. Up until yesterday, it ran great. But, yesterday afternoon, after I had already been out running around most of the day. I noticed that when I went to pass someone and pushed down on the accelerator, it would sort of stick for a second. After being at home for about 2 hours, I went to go get some food and the car seemed to be running funny, but I was not sure why. I went 2 stop signs, 1 stop light and turned left and started to go over an overpass. I took my foot off the accelerator to turn and when I pushed it down again the car made the strangest sound. Like it was trying to go into gear but couldn't. Then it made a soft grunting type sound, (like a sudden pressure level had been reached) and lunged forward slightly as it popped into gear. By the time I made it through the next light, it was taking a good 10 - 15 seconds to go into gear and reving badly. I turned around took it home and parked it. What am I looking at? A solenoid rely maybe?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It sounds like you are looking more at a transmission concern. Which can be a solenoid or internal worn parts. You should probably check the transmission fluid level first and make sure it is not low. Which can also cause your concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is strange that you would respond to my question with almost exactly the same statement I said to you. Your answer was not helpful at all. Now, can you please read my message again and give me some ideas as to what to check into as possible causes for my very sudden problem? I do not feel I should have to pay for you replying with the same thing I said, right?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I dont see how my response was strange, or how it repeated what you said. Yes I read your question and your description, of pressure releasing and grunting is not very helpful. The part where you describe the rpms revving and the vehicle not moving makes more sense and sounds like an internal transmission problem. An internal trans problem can be caused by worn parts or one of a few solenoids that are in the trans. The first step in checking this is to check the transmission fluid level, as that can also cause your concern. Maybe you just have a leak. You can also have the computer checked to see if any transmission codes were set in the computer. You can do this and let me know the results.