James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2004 Sport Trac. Went to start it and it turns over

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Sport Trac. Went to start it and it turns over just fine but won't fire. Tried other key. no difference. I checked the inertia switch and it was popped. pressed it and it started for about a second. I checked it again and found it was up.
Pressed again and it started same way. Checked it and it was still up. I held it and started it again and it ran for about 5 to 6 seconds smoothly then started to shudder and it shut down. The reset button will not stay down....replace switch? Could it be
the relay? Fuses look fine. Hoping its not the fuel pump! Todd
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You are correct the inertia switch is bad. They don't fail a lot but they do from time to time. A bad fuel pump won'take the inertia switch pop they just wear out internally. Replacing the inertia switch is going to fix your problem.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That will make me extremely happy if that works. I'm going to see if Napa carries them. I take it I just unbolt it and install the new one? Any need to cut power?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Nope you can just unplug it and plug it back in. As long as you have the key off there will be no power to it.