6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

I'm having cylinder head gasket problems with my 2005 4.0 L

Customer Question

I'm having cylinder head gasket problems with my 2005 4.0 L engine leaking coolant at the lower front right side of the engine. The leak is external not internal. The truck has 98,032 miles on it. I've been advised by an independent garage owner that the problem is not repairable and to replace the engine. I called my local ford dealer service writer 4 days ago and have not been given an estimate to repair the engine.. Is the garage owner correct when he states the problem is not repairable and the engine has to be replaced?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.

While uncommon, I have seen a few 4.0L engines leak coolant externally from the head gasket. The gasket is a multi layer steel design. When the gasket gets pushed out of position, it can scratch or gouge either the block or the cylinder head. It's repairable, however once the head is removed, the block and head surfaces need to be inspected carefully for signs of damage and repaired/replaced as needed. The shop owner might be looking at cost of repair/vs/replacement when he said the engine should be replaced. This engine uses 2 timing chains with plastic guides called cassettes. The chain for the passenger side head is on the back of the engine. The engine needs to be removed to replace the guide. The plastic guides break or get extremely brittle over time. It might be more cost effective to install a used engine or a rebuilt, given the mileage on your engine and the labor involved to remove it and disassemble for repair. To answer your question though, the engine is repairable.

Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. Just checking in to see if you were able to make progress with the repairs on your explorer, or if you had any further questions about the engine repair.
James.