Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1999 ford ranger. After reading forums I think the alarm is

Customer Question

1999 ford ranger. After reading forums I think the alarm is keeping the truck from starting. blinks. Thoughts???
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wont turn over at all. As if it were a starter kill. Lights all work fine. The theft light blinks like its armed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

With the key in the run position, the PATS system has triggered if the theft light blinks rapid 3 times a second. If thats occurring then the PCM or instrument cluster, or transceiver, or key is bad. It can also be caused by an aftermarket electronic in the vehicle or a weak battery. Try your spare key and if that fails then you need a tow to the dealer or a mobile locksmith with the correct programming tool.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to be more specific. And will Tate you as high as inca simply because you answered my question. So thx.Let me first say, it's not blinking three times a sec with key in. Just steady one blink a sec like it does when you arm it and lock all the doors. It never stops doing that when in ACC key position. Battery was take. Out and charged. Starter was removed and charged. Thought it might be the starter relay, but on this year I think it's on the starter. So no way for me to test jumping the starter. Not sure what that would prove anyways. But all instruments come on and all lights work. Everything works, just no engine crank. At all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starter was not charged lol. Tested like the battery. Both removed and tested. Battery was charged. Sorry it's early

Thanks auto or manual transmission?

With the key in the run position, touch a jumper wire briefly to both wires at the starter solenoid. Does the starter engage, spin the engine (crank) and does it start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto-transmission. It starts when I jump the starter. What does that tell me?

Thanks, ***** ***** the starting circuit.

Remove the starter relay from the fuse box under the hood. One pin should have power. Have a helper hold the key in the start position, there should now be another power pin. If not then see if fuse 24 under the dash has power when trying to start. Let me know these results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the starter relay number 5 in the distribution box? Also not sure what "one pin should have power" means. Am I usin an ohmmeter?

Your using a test light or volt meter, your checking every pin, only one will/should have power with the key off. Below is an image of the relay location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Doing this by myself so no way to check for power at the moment when starting. But with key on, found pin with 12.26 volts of power. Checked out fuse 24 anyways and it was good and the volts where 3.56 when key was on, and didn't change when trying to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought a new relay. No help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do the beeps and tones mean when you try to start the truck? Anything there helpful?

There should be no sounds when trying to start the truck, are you sure there is not an aftermarket alarm or immobilizer on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it used. The remote looks factory. There is are a series of dings and a long tone. The ding happens as soon as you put the key in. Kind of like a reminder the key is in the ignition. It may not be anything. Does the voltage I got seem ok?

Can you check the voltage at fuse 24 when trying to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 3.54 didn't change when I turned the key

The red/light blue wire from the ignition switch which powers fuse 24 must have battery voltage when trying to start. Can you check this wire tested the same way at the ignition switch? The 4 yellow wires are the power to the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should be getting 12 volts at fuse 24?

If your battery is at 12 volts then yes. A good battery will have 12.6 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I had the battery tested a couple of days ago, it was ok (12.6). they had to charge it. So I got a helper this morning to start the truck while I took readings.- Battery was low, but I think its ok (11.5) - I jumped starter to charge and I'll recheck
- with key on (not started) Relay removed and checked pin for power, found one at (12.23) and second Pin (3.56)
- With key on (trying to start) power pin dropped to (11.5) second pin no change
- Fuse 24 with key off, no reading, with key on (3.56), while starting no change
- after jumping starter, battery reading was 14.29. So that tells me Alternator is ok correct?
so where do I go from here?

You gotta get fuse 24 that is powered by the ignition switch to have battery voltage while trying to start.