Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I just started having this problem, I start the 1997 Ford

Customer Question

I just started having this problem, I start the 1997 Ford Expedition and it shuts right back off. This just started after I replaced the gear shift lever that contains the over drive off button. Problem did not exist before.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

If you apply throttle can you keep it running? If so then clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, remove both battery cables, hold them together for one minute, then retest. If it still occurs but you can keep it running with throttle then replace the IAC valve.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that answer is not relevant to the problem. The vehicle ran fine, took a part the lower dash , and all surrounding plastic to remove and replace the shift lever on the column, also removed the ignition tumbler. And upon completion of the task, now the vehicle starts and runs for one sec and shuts down, will only restart if key is turned completely off as to reset everything, but then again after one second shuts off.

Thanks for the new details. Did it appear it only runs with the key in the start position and dies when you let go of the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs momentarily regardless. I found that it has something to do with the p.a.t. system.( because I had the ignition out and the vehicles electric system on while changing the lever out) and I saw that uncoupling the battery for two days resets the system and should be ok. The only problem I may have is that I don't have an original ford key only after market (slaves) but they did work fine before, will know if that works Friday evening that will be 48 hrs after battery disconnect.

The PATS system would not even allow it to start and it can not shut down a running engine. If there is a PATS issue with the key in the run position, the theft light will be blinking rapid, is that what you see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The theft light flashes extremely fast. It starts then shuts down, if I don't turn the key to the off position and try to start it it just cranks no fire . But as soon as I reset turn the key to the off position than try to start it starts and then again shuts off after about a second. If i leave the key in the on position after a few mins the theft goes out, and stays off until the key is turned off again. Then flashes really fast.

The theft system shuts down the fuel injectors or the fuel pump on this model, can you check the fuel pressure with the key on?

To cure the theft light, a Ford IDS or equivalent tool will be needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I contacted a local dealer and they told me that something must have happen to the telesponder, a lose wire or something worse. going to pull it all apart again and check all the wires and see.

That would be the transceiver near where the key goes in, which reads the code inside the key.