James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 07 F-350 6.0 powerstroke. It is reading engine code

Customer Question

I have a 07 F-350 6.0 powerstroke. It is reading engine code p0299 under boost conditions. I have checked all of the air duct to the turbo. Just researching the other possibilities.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. It sounds like your turbo needs to be cleaned. On first start up in the morning the vanes can stick inside the turbo. You don't feel the difference but it's enough to set a code. Removing and cleaning and or replacing the turbo will correct your concern.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code does not appear until after I have been driving for over ten minutes. Last time I cleared the code and re-seated the intake ducting I drove on the highway for twenty minutes with no code. Only after light to light driving for four miles did the code appear. Also, when the code occurs the truck runs rough for a moment and spews out a mixture of white and black smoke. After this the truck cycles through having normal power and lessened power randomly. Are there any parts to the turbo that are required to be replaced once I open it up for cleaning?
Thanks,
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
They do recomend installing a new clamp and nut. When you take it apart if the unison ring is wore Out it needs to be replaced. If you aren't comfortable cleaning the turbo they make brand new ones that are very affordable compared to how they used to be from ford.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I just wanted to see if you were able to get your turbo cleaned and working again?