Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2002 Ford F-150 cab fx4 4x4 5.4 triton ... It's

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford F-150 king cab fx4 4x4 5.4 triton ... It's making a knocking or thud noise under the front passenger side of the truck I replaced the cv joint multiple times it's still making the noise ... So I got underneath the front end the whole cv joint plus the axle its bolted to has a lot of play and I check other ppl fords around the same year and it doesn't have play... So what would I have to do to fix this problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

This knocking sound is most like coming from two places, the ujoints on the front driveshaft or the stabilizer bar links. Let me know if this may be the case.

There is an actual Ford Technical Service Bulletin related to this issue. See below.

DRIVELINE CLUNK/GRUNT OR SHUDDER DURING ACCELERATION AND/OR BRAKING

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

Reference Number(s): 04-1-6, Date of Issue: January 26, 2004

FORD:1998-2004 F-150

DESCRIPTION

NOISE - DRIVELINE CLUNKING/GRUNTING NOISE OR SHUDDER SENSATION DURING LIGHT TO MODERATE ACCELERATION AND/OR BRAKING

TRANSMISSION - DRIVELINE CLUNKING/GRUNTING NOISE OR SHUDDER SENSATION DURING LIGHT TO MODERATE ACCELERATION AND/OR BRAKING

ISSUE

Some 1998-2004 F-150 4X4 vehicles with a one piece drive shaft may exhibit a clunking or grunting noise and/or a shudder sensation from the driveline. The condition will typically occur during light to moderate acceleration from a stop and/or braking. This may be caused by the slip yoke not sliding smoothly on the transfer case output shaft splines.

ACTION

To service, lubricate the slip yoke with Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A). Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Road test the vehicle to verify the condition.
  2. Remove the driveshaft per Section 205-01 of the Workshop Manual.

NOTE: INDEX (MARK) THE DRIVESHAFT YOKE TO AXLE FLANGE FOR REASSEMBLY.

3. Lubricate the slip yoke with 7-13 grams (0.25-0.46 oz.) of Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A).
  4. Re-index and reinstall the driveshaft per Workshop Manual.
  5. Check the transfer case fluid level and add MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX if necessary.
  6. Road test to verify the condition is corrected.

PARTS INFORMATION

PARTS INFORMATION

Part NumberPart Name

D2AZ-19590-ATeflon Grease

WARRANTY INFORMATION

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

OperationDescriptionTime

040106ALubricate The Slip Yoke With Teflon Grease Vehicles With One-Piece Driveshaft (Includes Time To Remove And Install Driveshaft)1.0 Hr.

DEALER CODING

Basic Part No.Condition Code

460242