Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I own a 96 F-150, 302 auto. It starts fine when cool, but

Customer Question

I own a 96 F-150, 302 auto. It starts fine when cool, but after I drive it for a while and park it , it turns over and fires but will not run, kinda sounds like vapor lock, what's really going on ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you are thinking you are dealing with a vapor lock condition then you may be dealing with a failing fuel pump, the fuel pump has a built in check valve designed to hold fuel pressure at 32 to 45 PSI on the first turn of the key and when the pump starts to fail it will not cycle up and hold pressure on the first turn of the key. There are two ways you can check this, one is to install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure with turning the key on. The other way you can check this is simply cycle the key on and off a few time before you try and start the truck. If after doing so an it now starts then the fuel pump is failing. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there if need be.