Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2000 ford excursion v10. Past two weeks started to overheat.

Customer Question

2000 ford excursion v10. Past two weeks started to overheat. At first temp would rise up the drop down after a few min. Then temp would rise up and stay till shut down. Was sporadic now continuous almost daily. Today I drove 40 miles with no issues in the am. Started it up 3 hours later and drove 20 miles and temp gauge raised up to red. Heard into red the jumps to peg and engine. Starts to slow down. I flushed radiator and changed thermostat today. No change. I just test ran the unit and within 30 min I was back at red line. I even let the engine idle during test run for 15 min
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

I believe in your case its going to be the temp sensor thats to blame. At this temp you should be losing coolant and experiencing running issues, so I do not even believe its overheating.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was not that. I also just replaced the water pump and it did not solve the issue.

So you have a new thermostat, water pump, and flushed system. You replied its not an incorrect reading temp sensor. That means the only thing left to cause high coolant temps is air in the system from a head gasket leak resulting in air pockets which restrict coolant flow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the fan? I can watch the thermostat kick in and coolant flow Then 20 min later I can watch the coolant temp rise. I turn on heater and it will drop back down.
The fan is mechanical and always spinning, are you saying its not pulling air through the radiator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a clutch type right? I'm throwing spit balls right now trying to eliminate the easy before i read the heads off

It does have a heat activated clutch. Whiie the engine off, the fan should not wobble and it should turn with some minimal effort.