Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Gearshift on 1998 ford explorer will not unlock and ignition

Customer Question

gearshift on 1998 ford explorer will not unlock and ignition will not move
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

The issue of the ignition not moving along with the gearshift is not uncommon in late 90's ford vehicles.

The teeth on these keys wear over time and do not fully engage the tumblers in the ignition lock cylinder.

What I have found in the past is to try a spare key to see if this solves the problem.

If the spare key doesn't work, I would spray some lubricate such as graphite or silicone into the ignition switch cylinder and move the key in and out multiple times to get any tumblers that may be stuck, unstuck.

Try these and let me know if it works, if it doesn't we can dive into further diagnostics.

Thanks and let me know the outcome.