EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Trouble shooting a '97 f150 4x4 (MSOF) getting power to both

Customer Question

trouble shooting a '97 f150 4x4 (MSOF) getting power to both solenoids on the firewall (and vac) ... I get a ground to the 4x2 solenoid but not the 4x4 ... does that automatically point to the PCM?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Yes the 4x4 solenoid needs to get ground on the red wire. But the ground does not come from the pcm. It comes from the gem. (generic electronic module). This module is what controls the 4x4. Also before condemning the gem module, you need to make sure that the wire from the solenoid to the gem is not corroded anywhere or broken. But if that wire is ok, then the gem should be replaced. Please respond to let me know your further questions or comments.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

And the gem module is located above the fuse box on the drivers side interior. And the wire in question is pin 7

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for viewing my response. Do you need any more help? have you found the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Havent gotten back to that project as yet, but thanks for the guidance.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok you are welcome. Please remember to rate my service and thanks for using Just Answer. Let me know if you have more questions on that. Thanks.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service and thanks for using Just Answer. Let me know if you have more questions on that. Thanks.