mike
mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  34 years in vehicle repair & diagnostics
9261905

2007 ford crown Victoria police interceptor cooling fan want

Customer Question

2007 ford crown Victoria police interceptor cooling fan want run, replaced cooling fan module, replaced cooling fan motor, and sensor. How much voltage do I need coming from the pcm red/orange control wire?. The cooling fan module is not putting a ground on the black wire that coming out of the cooling fan module going to the cooling fan motor.
Category: Ford
Expert:  mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is***** happy to help / advise you -
With what you have described / outlined - indeed the system has lost its ground and thats why its not working -
As you have found the fan will run by grounding the black ( ground ) wire, this proves that the Ecu / Pcm is working - sending the signal so you have again lost the ground on that circuit...
Check the ground for this circuit - it is in the area behind the left hand headlamp - check the security / integrity of the connection there - it may be broke or need removing and cleaning up.
If you dont find the fault there , either run another ground wire in, to bypass the main ground or you would need to strip / check the loom back to find the break causing the loss of its ground circuit.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out.
-- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it not the ground. The red wire has 12 volt DC before and after the relay module, the black wire is grounded before the module, but hot after the module. The module is not grounding the black wire. Again the black wire is grounded before the module, proving that the ground is good from the left fender wall. Do the red/orange control wire cause the module to continue the ground through the module? When I ground the module before the relay module nothing happens, but when I ground the black wire after the module the fan will run. I am losing my ground inside the relay module. How much voltage do I suppose to have on the red/orange control module, that I believe control the ground on and off for the fan.
Expert:  mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi again - Sorry for any misunderstanding -

In that case, its looking like the fault is within the module... and thats not uncommon..

You should have 12v through that circuit...on those wires. The control wire from the PCM to the fan relay is red/orange.. the 12v.

So long as you are sure on the ground then being a-ok.. and - you have no breaks in the cable loom, then the fault has to be internal as I mentioned just now above...

-- Please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point - I thank you for that - and you can then still come back to me as / if you still need anytime.

Best Rgds, MIKE.