Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Is there some trick to getting out the rear-most (sometimes

Customer Question

Is there some trick to getting out the rear-most (sometimes called front right, other times rear) motor mount on a 1998 Ford Taurus SHO? I'm trying to replace the motor mount on the passenger side towards the rear of the car. I've been able to remove the fasteners for the mount and have jacked up the engine essentially as high as I can until there is much resistance to jacking any more -- i.e., until the whole car wants to move up so the distance between the lower mount location and upper clevis/engine is not increasing anymore. No matter how I try to twist or maneuver the engine mount, I can't get it out. It seems that the vertical distance needs to increase more, but like I said, any additional jacking on the engine does not increase it. Any advice?
Submitted: 1 year ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

You have to take the nut loose on the front mount as well to get the engine up high enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the nut off the front motor mount (also on the passenger side of the car) and I still could not jack the motor high enough to remove the rear (passenger side) mount. It really made very little difference. This car is an SHO model so I wondered if the interference was on top so I removed the plastic and metal shields by the windshield/wipers/firewall to create some clearance but still couldn't jack any higher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, note that the front (passenger side) mount did raise up a few inches above the frame so there's not doubt it was unfastened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I have been out of town a few days.. just getting back in. If all else fails you will have to take the subframe bolts loose and lower it. Usually if you undo both the front and rear as well as strut tower brace if it has one loose that gives you enough clearance.. if that doesnt work for some reason you have to lower the subframe.