Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2011 Base Convertible. Rear windows both failed same time.

Customer Question

2011 Base Convertible. Rear windows both failed same time. Pass rear window rolls down but not up. It'll bounce up a few times by rocking switch but then nothing. Driver rear window does nothing at all. Replaced pass window regulator assy with new part, prob still exists. Replaced fuses and relay and door switch, all new parts. I don't have any idea what other parts to throw at this???
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

-

it sounds like a motor problem , but lets check it out , gain accss to the left rear power window motor and unplug the connector to the motor and use a test lamp on the connector , key ON

-

the GREEN/RED and the BLUE wire both should have power

-

the BLACK/WHITE wire should have ground

-

the YELLOW/BLUE and BLUE/BROWN wires are the input wires from the power window switch , when you press up the YELLOW/BLUE wire should have power , when you press down the BLUE/BROWN wire should have power ,

-

if the two power wires have power and the ground wires is good and the switch input wires have power when they should , then the motor is the problem,

-

we can go back and forth on this page

-

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Chris.
Will do as you suggest.
Of note, dealership examined problem and said both sides getting power; therefore, "must be bad motors."
I've put three motors (OEM, new RH motor, new LH motor) on the pass side and all three do the same thing.
The motor goes down properly but not up. It'll inch up by toggling the switch but only a couple inches before quitting.
Currently, the driver window is totally stopped.
I'll take the driver motor out today and try your tests, then try the two new motors and see what happens.
Far as I know, the only part I haven't changed in the system is the overhead convertible switch.
It lowers all windows simultaneously before lowering the top. But doesn't seem like it would be the prob.
I've read about "synchronizing" the windows in older model mustang posts, don't know if that applies??
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

I do not think there is any sync thing you have to do on these motors , but will check laster , having problem with ford site right now,

-

but check those inputs to the l/r motor , and tell me what you find , take note on the switch input wires to the motor and what they are doing when you press up and down ,

-

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took out drivers window & regulator. Motor looked burned. Looked down into cavity and discovered 2 inches of debris on bottom, clogging water drain. Evidently, the drain backed up and submerged the motor; which sits at the lowest point in the cavity. It wouldn't have taken much water to submerge the motor and its electrical connector. Anyway, did all the electrical tests you suggested and all was good. Passenger side started working perfectly too. Somehow the bad drivers motor was also affecting the passengers motor function. Cleaned both cavities thoroughly, forced-air dried, and blew out drain. Test-poured some water to verify drainage. Put both sides back together with new regulators. Adjusted window alignments. And all works perfectly, to include convertible top switch activation.Dealership quoted $1,000 to change both window motors. I both both assemblies for $250. Saved a lot of money and gained assurance that the problem is indeed fixed properly.Had I to tear into the drivers side before reaching out to you, we could have avoided this conversation. Oh well, lesson learned. Problem is always in the last place you look!!Anyway, thanks for the quick answer and advice. I'll definitely come back here the next time I'm stumped.Peace...Cecil
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

that's great news,

Thanks Chris