AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2002 ford explorer sport. No crank no start.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ford explorer sport. No crank no start. Battery is hot, both connectors are new clean and tight. When i turn the ignition key everything seams normal dash light on power good when the key is turned to the crank position all power goes dead.
I have checked all the fuses in both fuse pannels. drivers finder and dash pannel. I have also check for codes in the computer. If you remove the battery cables for a minute the power will come back on until the key is moved to the start position.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

Check the battery voltage with the key in the crank position. IT should not drop below 9.6 volts. If so, the battery is bad or it needs a charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the voltage was 11.1.I also put a charger in start mode. same outcome.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, good, now check the voltage at the starter with the key in the CRANK position. You will need an assistant to help with this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that the starter is bad, but that should not cause everything else to loose power.
If the battery is in fact good but there is low voltage at the starter, then you have a bad connection at or after the battery.
Dont forget to check the grounds. Engine ground, battery ground, frame ground and starter ground.
Amedee
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It's Amedee from just answer.
I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Amedee
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It's Amedee from just answer.
Let me know!
Amedee