Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Yesterday I purchased an 08 f350 6.4. I drove it about 70

Customer Question

yesterday I purchased an 08 f350 6.4. I drove it about 70 miles home. This morning I drove it to breakfast it started smoking white at idle only. I drove it around abit the smoke comes, and goes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Two very, very common issues on the 6.4L engine that can cause white smoke, leaking egr valve cooler or leaking injectors.
Smell the exhaust to see if it is unusually heavy with raw fuel smell or sweet coolant smell.
If you cant tell, check for lower coolant level. If it is, then it is the egr cooler. If not, then injectors.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering why it didn't show up on a 1hour test drive, or until the day after I bought it. As I said I drove it 60 miles home.
I cant tell about the smell it doesn't seem like either to me. The smoke comes after the truck is warm, when I stop at a light there is no smoke there is no smoke for 30 sec. to a minute. Then it starts to bellow. It appears that when I star driving again it goes away.