Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have ordered a pcm 04 freestar, from a salvage yard, i

Customer Question

i have ordered a pcm for my 04 freestar, from a salvage yard, i have only 1 key to the van. the key is just a regular key, not a coded key. changed the pcm of course the van will not start, what do i do to get it starting?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will just wait for my answer
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the used pcm needs to be flashed or programmed to your vehicle. right now, it is programmed to the vehicle it came from. once that is done, then the key will have to be programmed to allow the seurity system to allow it to start.

why did you replace the pcm???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced it because I could not get the van to run right the check engine light kept coming on, had done everything else and the pcm showed signs of having been wet with water damage.
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, you will need to find a shop that has the equipment to flash his and program your keys. hopefully, it will be successful and you will have no other check engine light.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was looking for a way to fix this without paying a shop a fortune. Are you seriously going to charge me $38. to tell me to take it to a shop?
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

I am not charging you for anything. we get a portion of your deposit when you accept our answer. it is the only way we get paid for our efforts.

there is no easy way to perform this procedure unless you have the equipment.

if you have the equipment then you can do this procedure yourself.

do you have a scan tool capable of flashing??? if you do then you will need a subscription to the ford web sight to access the info needed.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the scan tool
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

you need a tech 2. you will need to buy a subscription to ford web site. you will also need a translator for the info. that is a connector between the obd 2 connector and the scan tool. then you can download the program to your pcm. the instructions are easy to follow. just hope that it takes to the used pcm.

Roy