roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I'm changing plug wires on a 4.2L and some wires go behind

Customer Question

I'm changing plug wires on a 4.2L and some wires go behind the engine and seem to be hung up back there somewhere.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

there is a wire holder in the back to keep the wires from laying on the hot motor. it needs to be released to allow the wires to come out. be sure to put them back in the holder or the wires may rest on hot surfaces causing failure from burning.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's great but I can't see it or reach it. is it attached to the engine somewhere or the fire wall and most importantly how do I get to it?
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

the top of the holder pops up and the wirs can be removed from the holder. if you cannot get to it, then you may just have to feel for it. it should be mounted on the back of the motor, not on the firewall. if you can imagine, an engineer actually got paid to design that.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope he's long since been fired.
I'll try feeling for it, cuz I sure can't see it.Terry
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

I know what you are up against. I went through this many times. I re route the wires away from that area

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the wires out. Yay!! How did you reroute, cuz that's definitely what I'm going to do. Do I have to be sure not to cross the wires?
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, does not matter about crossing the wires. route them over top but make sure you use some wire ties to secure them to something not hot.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out????

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy