Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Do you know if the 2010 F150's have a interia fuel shutoff?

Customer Question

do you know if the 2010 F150's have a interia fuel shutoff?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
The expert you have requested in not online at the moment so I can help you, your 2010 does not have an inertia switch like older models. In the event of a moderate to severe collision, the vehicle is equipped with a Fuel Pump (FP) shut-off feature that is initiated by the event notification signal.
The event notification signal is a signal provided by the Restraints Control Module (RCM) to the FP control module. Signal communication between the RCM and the FP control module allows the PCM to shut-off the FP .
Should the vehicle shut off after a collision due to this feature, the vehicle may be restarted by first turning the ignition switch to the OFF position and then turn the ignition switch to the ON position. In some instances the vehicle may not start the first time and may take one additional key cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried turning it to the on and off position a couple of times with no luck, also I have tried to disconnect the batter for a short time. Do you have any other ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine cranks like it wants to start but it won't, I took out the fuse to the fuel pump and it wouldn't even crank
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Were you involved in a collision?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but I drive on some very rough and muddy roads, tranmission linkages get stuck all the time on out f350s out here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read there is some kind of switch at the back of the truck near the spare tire...is this true?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its not likely bumpy road would trigger the shut off. it has to be a collision. Are you hearing the pump cycle on with the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest I'm not sure, I did forget to mention the oil light flashes. Five beeps I believe
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There is no switch but there is a driver module which dose have corrosion issues that mounts to the mounts to the cross member just ahead of the spare tire. Take a look at it and the connection to it. If it looks okay then run the test steps to determine if the pump has failed. See them in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20pump%20test%20Aug%201.pdf