HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

We have a 2005 Ford Taurus and the cruise control stopped

Customer Question

Hi John, we have a 2005 Ford Taurus and the cruise control stopped working after we had the master cylinder replaced. I am having trouble figuring out what may be the problem...Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, first thing to check would be the stop lamp operation, if the stop lights stay on it will cancel the cruise operation. Here is a test sequence to pull codes on the cruise system:

1. Self Test Diagnostic Procedure - Static Test a. Connect the Diagnostic Scan Tool (DST) to a power source that is not interrupted when the ignition switch changes positions. With the ignition switch in the RUN position, set the DST to monitor the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) throttle position PID while the speed control actuator carries out the self-test. b. Enter self-test diagnostics by firmly pressing and holding the speed control OFF switch while quickly cycling the ignition switch from RUN-to-OFF-to-RUN, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. c. The speed control indicator lamp on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that the speed control module has entered the self test diagnostic mode. Release the OFF switch. If 5 flashes are displayed at this point, a speed control subsystem concern exists. Refer to the Symptom Chart. See: Cruise Control > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Symptom Chart

d. Then firmly press and release the remaining switches WITHIN 1 SECOND of each other in the sequence in Figure 1. The speed control indicator lamp flashes once after each of the buttons is successfully pressed. NOTE: Monitor the PCM throttle position PID after the last button is pressed. NOTE: There will be a slight delay from when the last button is pressed and the cluster lamp flashes diagnostic codes. NOTE: If the self-test will not start or cannot be completed after multiple attempts, GO to the Symptom Chart. See: Cruise Control > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Symptom Chart

. Follow the list (Figure 2) for diagnostic flash codes, then go to the Symptom Chart. See: Cruise Control > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Symptom Chart 2. Self Test Diagnostic Procedure - Dynamic Test NOTE: The dynamic test occurs automatically after the static test passes. If the static test fails resulting in flash codes, there will be no dynamic pull test. a. Within 0.25 seconds after the static test has completed, the speed control actuator carries out a dynamic pull test. The actuator automatically pulls the speed control cable 0.04 to 0.39 inch (1 to 10 mm) to move the throttle from the idle position and then releases the speed control cable returning the throttle to the idle position. NOTE: The 2001-2005 Escape/Mariner holds the peak throttle pull for 3 seconds prior to releasing. b. If the throttle position PID voltage value does not change during the dynamic throttle pull, go to the Symptom Chart for Dynamic Pull Test failure. See: Cruise Control > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Symptom Chart

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi HDGene, thanks for the quick response. At this point, the cruise will not power on by pressing the on-button on the steering wheel. I am thinking that the tests would be ineffective if the cruise will not power on...is that correct? I have checked the interior fuse and it is ok...do you have any other suggestions?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

based on that information it would have to do with the area you were working in when replacing the master cylinder, the cruise control servo if it was unplugged, moved or disturbed. Inspect the throttle cable connection from the servo motor under the hood to the throttle body as well. fuse is good, and the test I put up wont work you would have to test for power and ground to the servo and for resistance to the servo when depressing the different steering wheel controls

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually had a automotive repair company do the work. They have been taking care of my vehicles for over 20 years. My wife took the car back and told them that the cruise was no longer working after the master cylinder repair. They checked the cruise and told her to take it to the Ford dealer. Needless to say, I was not very happy with their response. It would seem highly probable something did not get connected after the repair, but I am having difficulties deducing what that might be...
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

I understand, hard to say for sure if it is related or not, most likely if it was working prior to the repair.All you can do is an inspection of the electrical connections to the brake master cylinder and the cruise control servo motor under the hood or have a diagnostic run. I can give you information on how to test the circuit and such if you have a volt/ohm meter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway. I guess I will try taking it back to the shop and having a pleasant come to Jesus meeting with them to get them to take a look at it. Have a great day...Sincerely, Macky
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Very good and good luck, If I was helpful please hit accept so I get credit for assisting you