Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2006 f150, check engine light on, truck dies out when you

Customer Question

2006 f150, check engine light on, truck dies out when you slow down/ take foot off accelerator.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Earlier today, truck would not start. Jumped it off, ran fine. Little while later it died. Took to mechanic. Said it was battery. He replaced it. Asked him to run engine analyzer. He said it was clean, no codes. Half you later check engine light came on. Could not find any problem. Two hours later truck dies out when slowing to stop. Restart and dies again repeatedly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Do you know what diagnostic codes your getting? Does vehicle run good other then shutting down at stops?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know codes. Am traveling away from home. Earlier today when it would not start and had to jump it and took to mechanic, check engine light was not on and after he replaced battery then test drove it and checked he said there were I codes, it was clear, battery was problem. Shortly after, the check engine light came on but it was running fine, all gauges good, all fluids good. Then couple of hours later it started dying out when you slow down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction, there were "no" codes. Am on my phone and hard to get typing all correct.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Is the check engine light still on? What size engine do you have? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Light is on constantly now. 4.8 liter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or 4.6, can't remember, but it is the small 8 cyl, not the 5.4 l
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does vehicle stay running if you keep foot on pedal? Does check engine light ever flash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine light does not flash. Seems to only die when take foot off gas.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Unplug the mass airflow sensor to see if that makes a difference, if so it has probably failed. If that doesn't help you may have a vacuum leak or dirty throttle body but at that point I'd start by checking diagnostic codes which you can have done at your local parts store for free. Once you get codes you can reply back to this answer and let me know what they are. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the mass airflow sensor easy to identify or is there a diagram/drawing online I can look at to help me locate it? If it runs better with it unplugged, can I drive it like that for a while?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of the maf, if it runs better with disconnected you will be fine to drive until you get a chance to replace. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8inrws4qb3q2xze/maf.pdf?dl=0
-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, keep me updated. Thanks again and have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, one more... If I unplug the mass airflow sensor, the check engine light will still stay on, right? And if I replace it, and if that was the problem, will the light go out, or does it somehow have to be reset?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, the light will stay on if you unplug it. And if that is the problem replacing sensor will allow it to turn off by itself after a couple drives. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to you later. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Truck started fine this morning. Runs smooth. Auto parts guy read code. It said "idle air control, rpm lower than expected". He said no other codes, nothing about oxygen or mass air flow. Please advise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light still on continuos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto parts guy cleared the code. Got back in and drove off. A minute or two later, check engine light went off. ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drove 20 miles, slowed down at stop sign, truck died, engine light came on. Restarted, took off, got up to speed. Engine light back off. Running fine at high speed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The idle air control valve is built into the throttle body. Get some car cleaner and use that with a rag to wipe out throttle body good. Let me know if that helps, thanks.