Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

E350: I have an 06 Ford e350 sd cargo van. It has started randomly

Customer Question

I have an 06 Ford e350 sd cargo van. It has started randomly dying without warning. No common symptoms. Used to think it had to do with moisture but now will do it anytime. I have found out I do not have to pull over and stop but if I just put in nuetral it will just turn over and not fire. So if I'm cruising along at 65 and it dies I just slip it in nuetral turn the key off turn back on an it fires right up. After about 4-5 seconds if I have not restarted it an alarm will sound and a small wrench symbol appears on dash where the other system malfunction indicators display. There is no rhyme or reason. Sometimes will do it once sometimes it will do it four times before I get out of driveway. Sometimes while accelerating sometimes while at an idle in park. But it does seemed to be worse. Spark plugs and coils have been changed because it was running poorly and missing on two cylinders. It did that yesterday causing engine light to flash but then worked itself out. Engine light has been on since purchase 80,000 miles ago (has 193,000 now) and was told by mechanic it was an emissions,air leak. Never effected performance. Do not know if related but for sake of full disclosure, prior to this serious issue the radio volume would raise our lower periodically when you hit a bump. This van has been a workhorse, always reliable but this issue is becoming harder to deal with. Tooling around town, it's just annoying but hailing a trailer or on a busy freeway is out of the question and deadly
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
You need a scan tool to monitor the cam and crank sensors on a graph and catch it while its occurring. We need to see if there is ever a hiccup just prior to it stalling so we know if we need to check these sensors, wiring or tone rings. Can you idle the engine and wiggle the wire harness to both of these sensors and to the PCM to see if you can make it stall. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris