Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

Ford Focus ZX3: 2001 Ford Focus zx3. While driving and the

Customer Question

2001 Ford Focus zx3. While driving and the tach reaches 3000+ it acts like it is running out of gas. It surges and as it gets warmer, it gets worse and occurs at lower rpms. Eventually it will stop running and won't restart for about 5 minutes. When it does restart, it runs like it is new, but after a while, it all starts over again. It used to be every 2-3 weeks, but it did it 3 times yesterday on my way home. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Is the check engine light on when the car is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light on continuously. Has been since I have owned it. It currently has 220560 miles.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
OkCouple ideas for you. First, try unplugging the mass air flow sensor when the car won't start. If the sensor is reading wrong, it might be producing the wrong fuel mixture when it gets hot and causing the problem. If it is, then the car should start with it unplugged. Second, it's possible the catalytic converter is plugging up. When it gets hot and expands you will lose performance because the exhaust can't get out. This might also be why the car has to cool down before it will restart for you. If unplugging the maf sensor doesn't help. Then try removing the up stream O2 sensor and start it. It's going to be loud as heck, but if it fires up, take it for a drive and see if the engine performance is better once you hit the 3000 rpm mark. If it is, then it needs a converter.Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I get a chance I will try your suggestions. It may be a few days.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
That's fine, let me know how it goes and we can take it from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I just changed out the catalytic converter, and O2 sensors, with Motorcraft sensors and it still has the same issues. I wanted to change it anyway just so it is new and maybe my mileage will get a little better. Is there a possibility that the fuel pump isn't putting out the pressure that is needed to run it at higher RPM's or maybe it is overheating? I am at a loss here. I really want it to run good. I love driving it when it runs good. Thanks!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Did you try unplugging the mass air flow sensor to see if it would run any better or restart once it stopped running without having to wait?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So far I haven't driven it to the point of stalling. I will have a chance today hopefully have it happen. I did unplug it while it was running just to see what would happen and it bogged down like it was going to stall then come back and run fine. I will try the other procedure when it does happen. Thanks again.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome, i should be here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Mike! I wanted to update you on my car. On the way home on Tuesday, the care stalled 3 times on the way home, and it was hot that day, so I was expecting it to do that. When it did stall, I unplugged the MAF sensor and tried starting it, and it didn't start. I did some more digging yesterday morning and found something that pointed to the EGR sensor so I thought I would give it a try. I purchased one at lunch time, installed it, and drove home yesterday. It was another hot day, so I knew if it was going to still have issues, it would show up on the way home. It drove and accelerated perfectly! It also did so on the way to work this morning. So I believe that sensor has been bad for a while, since this has been an issue for a while. I appreciate your help, and maybe if this comes up again, you can use it to help someone else. It was only a $30 part and took a minute to change. Have a good day and thanks again!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Certainly glad to hear you got it running right, did you replace the egr sensor or the egr? I can't see why the egr sensor would cause the stalling on you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the DPFE sensor. I read somewhere that it can cause hesitated acceleration and stalling. I don't know why either, but for now, it works. I am still cautiously optimistic.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Well, I appreciate the info, doesn't compute in my brain as to why it's a factor, but the important thing is it seems to have worked which of course is good.