James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Was driving home in 1999 f350 7.3 and the car wont go in mo

Customer Question

was driving home in 1999 f350 7.3 and the car wont go in mo gear
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was driving home this morning and the for some reason the came out of gear and now wont go in no gear.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Just to be clear the shift lever is moving correctly but you have no forward or reverse movement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If you check the transmission fluid level with the vehicle off and mark it. Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for a minute and recheck does the fluid level go down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The levels are correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
need a quick response dialogue. If not I just rather send it to a shop. Thanks. Ive been on here over a hour.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Not the levels I was trying to see if the pump was working. I don't think you have fluid pressure and that is causing your issue. This is usually caused by a faulty fluid pump or you could have a bad solenoid in the body. I would get a manual gauge to test pump pressure. If you have a faulty pump you will need to replace it to correct your concern.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i check the pump?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
With a manual pressure gauge. There is a small pressure tap that says line on the side of the transmission that says line. You hook the pressure tester here and start up the vehicle and see if you have any pump pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do i get the gauge from?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
A part store may rent one out in your area. You can always order a transmission pressure tester off the Internet as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else it can be?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
It could be a bad valve in the valve body, a bad solenoid. If the overdrive light is flashing you can test for codes and see if any codes are present. Without the correct tools diagnosing a transmission can be a difficult task.