Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Mustang: Hey I have a 95 mustang that is cutting out bad

Customer Question

Hey I have a 95 mustang that is cutting out bad
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car has new accel coil, wires, new distributor, new ignition module, timing set at 12 with spout unplugged. With a timing light hooked up, it seems I'm not getting spark when it cuts out
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Base timing with the SPOUT disconnected should be set at 10 degrees before TDC. Try checking the timing with the SPOUT disconnected and see if it hold steady, if it does then reconnect the SPOUT and run the RPM up to 1500 RPM and see if the timing advances and hold steady. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron,
Thanks for your reply. I won't have time to run through your procedure today, but I will ask how steady should the light be? Mine definitely moves around some at idle and misses some. I ohm'd one of the wires that was missing and it had continuity i believe. It is advancing with spout in if that is what your asking.
Thanks for your help,
Chris
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
With the SPOUT connected the timing should advance and hold steady. It should also be steady at Idle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For now, I'm pretty sure it is advancing, but doesn't hold steady with the spout in or out. What might this indicate?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
With the SPOUT out it should hold steady with the base timing set , if its moving then that would indicate a timing issue with either the timing chain and or the new distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem first occurred on the original motor/distrubitor. I then put a 00 mountaineer motor with my h.o. cam/springs in and it worked great for awhile. That's when I changed all the ignition stuff. I'm not sure what chain went back in it
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I would recheck the new distributor, sounds to me like it may be defective. In most cases if the timing chain was at fault you would also notice low compression.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check distributor? I don't think compression is low
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The best way would be to replace the stator with a known good one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is computer a possibility?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
It is a possibility but computed timing is removed from the computer's control once you remove the SPOUT circuit. Base timing should hold steady at base no matter the RPM with the SPOUT removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the timing light on it. With spout disconnected, the timing fluctuates a degree or so. When increasing rpm, it fluctuates a more lIke 3-5 degrees. With spout connected, it advances timing at idle and advances more with more rpmto a cretain ppint then stops. The spark becomes even more erratic with spout connected and with more rpm.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The timing should not move at all with the SPOUT removed.