Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

FORD EXPLORER: I HAVE A 2008 FORD EXPLORER XLT. I HAVE AN ISSUE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2008 FORD EXPLORER XLT. I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE DASH ALERT THAT COMES UP AFTER DRIVING HIGHWAY FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES CONTINUOUS THAT FIRST MESSAGE SAYS "TIRE SENSOR FAULT" AND THEN DRIVING ANOTHER 5 MINUTES THE MESSAGE SAYS "TIRE MONITOR FAULT". ONCE I SLOW DOWN THE MESSAGE GOES OFF OR IF I STOP THE CAR IT GOES OFF. I HAVE BROUGHT IT TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP AND HAD THEM LOOK AT THE PROBLEM AND THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS NOR COULD THEY DUPLICATE IT UNLESS OUT DROVING FOR 30 MINUTES OR SO. THEY REPLACED ALL SENSORS AND PAIRED ALL TO THE MAIN COMPUTER, (SO THEY SAID), AND IT STILL HAPPENS. FORD SAYS THERE IS NO RECALL ABOUT THIS AND THEY WOULD NEED TO HAVE IT HAPPEN WHILE IN THE SHOP SO THEY CAN TEST IT. THE TIRES ARE FAIRLY NEW, MICHLIN, AND ALIGNMENT IS GOOD. TIRES ROTATED EVERY 3000 MILES WITH OIL CHANGE. COULD IT BE THE NEW TIRES? I HAD GOOD YEAR BEFORE THIS AND DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO I REPLACED ALL TIRES WITH MICHLIN AND IN THE LAST 4 MONTHS OR SO I GET THIS MESSAGE.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 1 year ago.
Hi welcome to just answers My name is ***** ***** i hope i can be of help with this problem. this problem has nothing to do with the tires as long as they ar infated to the right pressure and they are the correct size of tires brand has no fault on this. the tire monitors should be able to maintaine pressure monitors off. I f you have" TIRE MONITOR FAULT " then 30 minutes later you get "TIRE SENSOR FAULT" then the problem is the tire moniitor it either has a bad ground ,loose conection or the monitor itself is defective.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for response. They daid they replaced all four sensors or did they not do that

yes this means the one thing they needed to replace or diagnose was the monitor itself wich they ignore.
you dont have to go to the dealer to diagnose a tire monitor, a good reliable with good reputation shop can do as good as a job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THE WORK DONE BY FORD WAS UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY SO I WILL GO BACK TO FORD AND TELL THEM TO CHECK THE MONITOR. DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE ANYTHING ELSE?

it has to be either the monitor or a bad groung or power supply, nothing else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANKS I HOPE TO CHECK THIS TOMORROW AND LET YOU KNOW.

your welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I WENT TO FORD AND THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE THE CAR IN ON MONDAY TO LOOK INTO THIS FURTHER. I MENTIONED WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE GROUND AND MONITOR AND HE ROLLED HIS EYES. THEY THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL. LOL. NOW THEY NEED TO FIX IT.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

BROUGHT CAR IN TO FORD TODAY AND THEY ARE CHANGING OUT THE MODULE. I NEED TO BRING IT BACK NEXT TUESDAY. YOU THINK THAT WILL DO IT?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: No answer yet. I GET A MESSAGE ON DASH SAYING TO CHECK HEADLIGHTS BUT EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT. HOW DO I STOP THE MESSAGE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

BROUGHT CAR IN TO FORD TODAY AND THEY CHANGED OUT THE MODULE. . YOU THINK THAT WILL DO IT?

ALSO: I get an alert on my dash saying to "check headlights" but all are fine. how do i get the message to stop coming on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FORD REPLACED MODULE AND IT IS FIXED. THANKS