John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician 32 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
78680981

2006 Ford F150: Good morning,I own a 2006 F150 with 196000

Customer Question

Good morning,I own a 2006 F150 with 196000 kms on it.With original plugs,well except one.Being running rough,bogs at about 60kms.Hard to reach speed past 60 kms.And now is making a sound like when one of your wheel hubs is not engaging.But I believe is coming from the engine,not at all rpms though.Almost like a rattle.Check engine light is on with three codes a P0345 camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 2 and a p0303 p031 misfire on cylinder one and three.What the bad news?Bill
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Vieira replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you today with this issue. Sounds to me like it needs a tune up I would check the spark plugs. If the spark plugs are good then what you need to do is to swap the cylinder that is missing with a known good coil. Like swap one with two or three with four or another one that is easy to get at. And see what follows. You have a bad coil if, the miss follows the respected coil that you swapped it from. Please get back to me and I will assist you further. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,I'm going to change the plugs in the next week or two than we will see if that solves it.The thing that I'm concerned about is the P0345 code that's there.
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)
Description: The test fails when the powertrain control module (PCM) can no longer detect the signal from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor on bank 1.
Possible Causes:
CMP circuit open
CMP circuit short to GND
CMP circuit short to voltage
SIG RTN open (VR sensor)
CMP GND open (Hall-effect sensor)
CMP circuit short to CMP2 circuit (if equipped)
CMP incorrectly installed (Hall-effect sensor)
Damaged CMP sensor shielding
Damaged CMP sensor
Damaged PCM
Diagnostic Aids: Harness routing, harness alterations, improper shielding, or electrical interference from other improperly functioning systems may have an intermittent impact on the CMP signal.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test DR .
0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 2)
Description: The test fails when the powertrain control module (PCM) can no longer detect the signal from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor on bank 2.
Possible Causes: See the possible causes for DTC P0340.
Diagnostic Aids: See the diagnostic aids for DTC P0340.
All