James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F 250 Lariat: repair place flushed 2008 6.4 eng with Napa long

Customer Question

repair place flushed 2008 6.4 eng with Napa long life coolant. [ prestone] how much time do I have to replace it with G-05 [ Zerex] ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, you want to flush the cooling system every 25k-30k miles. This is directly from a power stroke engineer. The problem is the coolant nitrate levels become corrosive and break down the engine. It doesn't matter what long life coolant you have they just don't hold up to the stress the diesels put on them. By doing this it will also help make sure the oil cooler doesn't become restricted. The other thing it will almost eliminate is cavitation in the front engine cover. As long as you do it no later than 30k miles you will never have an issue.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
James, I must have misspoken somehow. Are you telling me that I must change any coolant, whether it is motorcraft gold or zerex G-05---every 30K ? Even though Ford shows it as good for 5 yr-150K OR are you saying that if I continue to use the NAPA, I need to change it that often ?? NOT FINISHED--EXPECT A REPLY
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Regardless of coolant you want to flush it every 30k. Ford was very wrong when they thought this coolant would last. After years of cooling system failures they figured it out. It was in 2012 when they figured it out. Two years after the 6.4was made. The new coolant for diesels is the same way. It is much better coolant but in a diesel it doesn't last.