Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F150 lariant: I have a 1986 f 150 lariant and the starter stays

Customer Question

I have a 1986 f 150 lariant and the starter stays engaged. I have replaced the sell old on the fire wall and starter but still have the same problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. I am an electrical specialist and I will try to help you out with this problem. This is normally caused by a bad ground where power is feeding back through the solenoid, or the charging system feeding back through the system through the ignition switch to the solenoid.There are two small terminals on the starter solenoid the S terminal,and the I terminal. The S terminal is closest to the battery terminal. Unplug both small wires and jump power to the S terminal,the engine will crank. If the cranking stops when you remove power from the S terminal, start it this way and measure the wire you took off of the S terminal and see if it has voltage to to with the engine running. If it does you have to track the power source to solve the problem. Also if you get the I, and S terminal on the S terminal it will keep cranking like you described. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am hereto help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.