James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F250: Bob I have a 2000 F250 4x4 7.3 diesel. Last night out

Customer Question

Bob I have a 2000 F250 4x4 7.3 diesel. Last night out of town couldn't get key to turn. Desperate to get home messed around with it took shroud off around steering wheel, jerked wheel, pounded key switch, finally key turned. Started truck, interlock wouldn't let me get out of park. Messed with brake pedal switch, no help. Remembered turn key on, put in neutral , start truck and go. BUT now power windows, radio, ACC, other stuff won't work and ABS light on. What did I do? Replaced ignition switch and key switch no help.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got home made it to work but too tired to wait for answer please e-mail me. Truck ran fine, all lights work, shifter tube is shot I ordered a new one. Also wipers don't work, interlock still won't let it come out of park. Checked all fuses found only one 7.5 amp one blown but can't see that being for much, will replace tomorrow.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, if the shifter tube is broken the shift interlock won't work correctly. Most of the time the two screws on the very bottom of the shift tube come loose and cause the shifter tube to be loose. When you press the brake make sure the brake lights are working as well. When you get the shifter repaired please let me know where you stand so I know what I need to do from here.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shifter is repaired. Key works well. Still no ACC, ABS light is on, no power windows, no wipers, no radio. All fuses checked. Could this be the GEM module?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
It is very possible it is the gem module. Usually when all these items quit it is the gem module that has failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuses again. The first time I just checked with an ohm meter to see if they were blown. This time I checked for power, there are quite a few that don't have power including fuse 15 that goes to the gem module and also the shift interlock which is still locked. I checked the brake light switch and it works the brake lights .Do you have access to a wiring diagram and can tell me where the power comes from for fuse 15?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Is fuse 15 inside the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I just got done taking apart and cleaning the 4 big connectors that go thru the firewall. They didn't look corroded or anything, still no power to fuse 15 and a few others.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do fuse 1,12,2,13 all have power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like a real DA but I took fuse 15 out along the way and when I put it back I put it in 16. So put it back in 15 and presto interlock works, wipers work, power windows work. This wasn't the original problem because all this stuff quit before I touched anything. So either the gem is still flaky or when I cleaned the firewall connectors it helped. BUT I still have some remaining issues: Key dinger keeps going continually even with ignition off and key out, no turn signals, no ACC, no radio, and ABS light stays on. If I paid the $30 for additional help can you keep helping me on this?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I can keep helping you.