Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Mustang GT: i have a 2006 Mustang GT Premium, 4.6L, i have

Customer Question

i have a 2006 Mustang GT Premium, 4.6L, i have a condition where the check engine light starts flashing and the engine seems to run on 6 cylinders for about 15 seconds, as long as i coast while its doing it the check engine light goes off and car runs fine again, if i touch the gas while its doing it i get random missfires detected and #2, #8 missfires detected, again if i dont touch the throttle the light does not stay on and no codes are present, i have cleaned the intake and runners thouroughly, replaced intake gaskets, replaced throttle control module, i even power probed the module and activated the butterflys to ensure proper operation, i have replaced the cam sensors and alternator,i have replaced all 8 spark plugs, i have replaced the coils on #2, #8, and performed a fuel system clean and replaced the fuel filter, the other thing i have noticed is i have lost about 70 miles per tank of fuel, my computer used to give me a 274 before E now its around 208, has anybody ever seen this, im leaning towards PCM, but thats a $1000 on top of what i have already spent
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
you need to check the fuel pressure while it acts up. it sure sounds like you are running out of fuel while driving and when you let off the throttle it is enough to catch back up. supply cant keep up with demand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel pressure has been tested and am assured it is in the normal range, the only time the engine light flashes is while driving, what is the explanation of a flashing check engine light , it must mean something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can drive for days with it not happening, it can also happen several times per day there is no rhime or reason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i saw something on youtube that said a flashing check engine light means emmissions system damage, that reminds me i also replace the vent valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but who do you trust on youtube, hence why im asking a ford proffesional
flashing light means a cat. converter damaging misfire and the vehicle should but stopped at the soonest and safest spot. a ign. misfire, the fuel is still spraying but nothing is igniting it, low compression will do the same. you nsaid the fuel pressure is good, was it monitored while vehicle was acting up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont believe they drove it and monitored the fuel pressure, its at a shop, i am dumping money into it to the tune of 5 grand so far, because no one can seem to figure it out, i have had it back on and off for the last week and a half, its done the flashing light 3 times in that time frame, i took the oportunity while the light was off last week to get my yearly safety and emmissions inspection done and it passed, i took it to the Ford dealer, they reset the code and said nothing was wrong, i left the parking lot and it did it within 2 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but then it wont do it for several days, we left the car idling all day one day last week and it never did it
thats not good. i would not let them shotgun any more parts at it unless they have good proof of what is going on. Can you get it to act up if you tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did it yesterday and because i was accelerating at the time it set the missfire codes, its going back in tomorrow but i was hoping to have a more definate direction to focus the mechanics attention at
when you say throttle control module, do you mean the throttle body
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i cant make it happen, its very random
and what kind of spark plugs and coils did you put in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no on the back side of the intake is a throttle control ford part #5R3Z-9J559-AA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the box says throttle control kit
did you try wiggling the injector connectors, coil connectors, pcm connectore and wiring all over while its running to see if you can get it to act up, also try tapping on the MAF sensor and other sensor with the handle of a screwdriver (just tap)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am only putting on Motorcraft parts that i am buying from ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ya i dont know if they have been tapping on components or not, i work nights and am sleeping while my car is in the shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have checked all the connections, seem ok, it runs fine until it dont
that kit is for the intake manifold runners, the runners could be stuck and will never cause a missfire, and most likely no one would ever feel the difference in performance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ya well they talked me into it, and i was more than happy to go pay for the parts, because they said it was the problem, i was getting runner faults before they cleaned and replaced it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and then i take it back and then its oh you need plugs and 2 coils, and then its oh youre alternator is outputting at 12.2 volts and is why the cam sensors are faulting out, might as well throw new cam sensors on it too, you see where im going with this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so now i am not getting cam faults, im not getting runner faults, im only getting the flashing check engine light, could the charcoal cannister be bad, or a back pressure thing with the exhaust
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im at my witts end with this car and in too deep to stop now, the ford dealer expressed no interest in helping me, so i chose what my research showed was a reputable shop and its close to home so not having my car isnt that big of an inconvienence, but its breaking the bank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i take it you are done trying to help me, thanks for your input